Trying to cut down on overeating to shed those extra pounds or stay a little bit healthier? It can be a difficult challenge to struggle with, especially if you have one of the many disorders which encourage eating, discourage self-control, or simply make it difficult to notice when you’ve had a bit too much. To make it all a bit easier, try these six tricks to avoid overeating throughout the day:
1. Eat substantial, proper meals. Overeating occurs naturally when you put off proper meals. So eat right when the time’s right.
2. If you know you’ll binge on it, don’t buy it. Chips, crackers, popcorn, ice cream, whatever your preferred poison for stacking up calories… just don’t keep it around.
3. Stay hydrated. Thirst and hunger can be hard to separate, and studies show drinking water can make you feel fuller for longer.
4. Eat on a schedule, not your gut feeling. Know when you should be eating, and eat at those times. Otherwise you may eat way more often than you intend.
5. Roll with the punches. If you slip up, don’t give up and slide to the bottom. Catch yourself and get back to eating right.
6. Follow your rules. If you buy it for breakfast, have it for breakfast—not brunch, dinner, and midnight snack.